As you settle in the new school year, we would like to take you on the Journey that ExCEL has embarked this year to MOVE THAT QAP BUS!
ExCEL Quality Action Plan (QAP) review journey began in spring 2016. Our office met with stakeholders, reviewed data, and identified the key areas of support we needed to grow and develop as we created the third iteration of the QAP.
- We designed additional tools to support ExCEL Program managers to support their staff in implementing the QAP
- We created more resources for the windows of the bus! For the windows of the bus – Safe and Supportive Culture & Climate, Healthy Active Youth and Aligned Academic Support.
READ MORE »
INTENTIONAL PROGRAM DESIGN AND IMPLEMENTATION
Some tips and tricks to consider:
- Look over your lesson plans. Do they meet grant requirements? Are they engaging? What are the learning outcomes? Do they have clear directions?
- Let your students choose what they want to learn! Ask your students what clubs are they interested in and take a vote.
- Form a youth led After School Club Committee. This is the perfect way to encourage youth development and student ownership of the program. The Committee can conduct surveys and take charge of the voting process. They can also help ask Program Leaders what they would like to teach before the voting process takes place to ensure that there will be someone teaching that particular club.
- Be a Model. Make sure Program Leaders model skills and how to do tasks before allowing students to take over.
- Encourage Thinking. Connect with your Academic Liaison to help give your Program Leaders tips on how to ask open-ended questions to encourage critical thinking skills.
- Debrief. Model debrief/reflection opportunities in your Staff Meetings and encourage your Program Leaders to conduct sessions after each project.
Hillcrest World Fair
In it’s 3rd year, May’s Mission YMCA Hillcrest World Fair is a culminating event and showcase for a month-long world cultures exploration.
After School teachers pick a country and design enrichment activities encompassing many different learning styles and modes of learning. Parents/Caregivers and the entire Hillcrest Community are invited to view student work and engage in interactive activities which span the globe!
Read story and watch a video produced by Hillcrest staff on our website.